On Wednesday 3rd of August we delivered over 70 ‘Letters of Hope’ from young people across the country to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese at Parliament House! The first sitting weeks of the new Parliament were a powerful moment to centre the voices of young people in the fight to stop fossil fuel expansion, and build positive engagement with MPs from across the political spectrum.
- 📝 Showcased and strung up 70+ letters, photos and polaroids from young people across the continent calling to end fossil fuel expansion
- 📣 Centred the voices of young people in the fight for climate justice with AYCC Canberra volunteer Mirah Larkin sharing her story of living through climate impacts (see the image below!)
- 🎤 Held a successful press conference with Labor MP for Canberra Alicia Payne, Independent MP for Kooyong Dr Monique Ryan, Independent Senator David Pocock, and ACT Greens Minister for the Environment Rebecca Vassarotti attending and speaking
- ✍🏽 Had Dr Monique Ryan, David Pocock and Rebecca Vassarotti sign our Climate Justice Pledge for no new coal, oil or gas
- 🎥 Reached over 16 million people with our message for no new fossil fuels through media attention - including on the Guardian live blog, on TV with 7 News Canberra; and online in the Australian, news.com.au, Canberra Weekly, and the West Australian.
- 📬 Hand delivered the letters to Labor MP Alicia Payne to pass onto to Prime Minister Albanese. She shares with the rest of Parliament about the letters we gave her - watch here!
- 🚀 Were reported in HANSARD - Greens MP Stephen Bates quoted us and elevated our action in his Parliamentary Speech on the Climate Change Bill 2022. Watch it here!
This wouldn’t have been possible without young people across the country writing to Prime Minister Albanese calling for no new fossil fuels.
There is still a long way to go before we have a Government that implements the bold, ambitious solutions we need for climate justice. The first critical step for the Albanese Government is to ensure there is no new public money for fossil fuels in the October Budget. Together we are demanding this government tackle the number one cause of climate change.
Change happens because everyday people like you and I choose to act. These Letters of Hope to Prime Minister Albanese have been amplified across the nation with a clear message - we cannot put out the fire while adding fuel to the flames.
PS. Did you write a letter? You can find your letter below (these are the ones that survived the Parliament Lawn rain damage!)