Volunteer to #StopAdani
We can't #StopAdani without you. Join the fight against mining giant Adani as we roll out a winning plan to stop his dangerous coal mine for good. We're a major contractor, GHD. Will you join us?
Climate change is here and now. We’re seeing it’s catastrophic impacts every day like the recent bushfires in Queensland. We know that burning fossil fuels, like coal, release dangerous amounts of carbon emissions fuelling dangerous climate change, which is why the best available science is imploring us to keep fossil fuels in the ground.
Here’s why as young people we are calling on GHD to build our future not Adani’s coal mine and rail project:
- Adani will open the Galilee Basin and burning all that coal will release 705,000,000 tonnes of carbon each year. That’s more than 1.3 times Australia’s current annual emissions! (1)
- Our future is on the line - exacerbated droughts are impacting our food security and water resources, heatwaves are becoming increasingly dangerous to the most vulnerable in our communities and extreme natural disasters like bushfires or cyclones threaten the places we love. (2)
- The Adani rail line, which GHD is possibly working on, will likely help several other coal mines in the Galilee Basin to proceed, like Clive Palmer’s ‘monster’ Alpha North Coal Mine Project. (3)
- Adani is in it for themselves. Another company, Aecom, had to take Adani to court just to get the money they were owed. (4)
- Adani’s coal is going to make power more expensive for communities in India and Bangladesh. (5)
- We want to build a better future that’s powered by the wind and the sun and GHD could lead the way.
We've got events and actions happening all the time where you can meet likeminded people and take action to #StopAdani.
Build a movement
We can't stop Adani alone, we need a powerful, huge movement of people committed to ending coal and leaving the coal in the ground. So get your friends involved, spread the news and let's make our people powered movement impossible to ignore.
Once you've signed up now, someone from your state will be in touch to have a chat about how you want to get involved.
(1) Will Steffen, Galilee Basin: Unburnable Coal, Climate Council, 2015 https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/uploads/af9ceab751ba2d0d3986ee39e1ef04fd.pdf
(2) David Roberts, This graphic explains why 2 degrees of global warming will be way worse than 1.5, 7/10/2018 https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/1/19/16908402/global-warming-2-degrees-climate-change
(3) Michael Slezak, Clive Palmer seeks approval for 'monster mine' next door to Adani, 26/4/2018, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/clive-palmer-seeks-approval-for-monster-mine-near-adani/9698680
(4) Mark Ludlow, Adani refuses to pay for work on Carmichael mine, 14/5/2019, https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/adani-challenging-payments-to-aecom-for-work-on-carmichael-mine-20190514-p51n3w
(5) IEFFA, IEEFA Report: Proposed Coal-Fired Project for Bangladesh Is a High-Priced Scheme Meant to Prop Up Adani Power, 10/4/2018 http://ieefa.org/ieefa-report-proposed-godda-power-project-just-another-financially-unviable-prop-for-adani/