Climate change is here and now. We’re seeing it’s catastrophic impacts every day like the recent bushfires in Queensland. We know that burning fossil fuels, like coal, release dangerous amounts of carbon emissions fuelling dangerous climate change, which is why the best available science is imploring us to keep fossil fuels in the ground.
Here’s why as young people we are calling on GHD to build our future not Adani’s coal mine and rail project:
- Adani will open the Galilee Basin and burning all that coal will release 705,000,000 tonnes of carbon each year. That’s more than 1.3 times Australia’s current annual emissions! (1)
- Our future is on the line - exacerbated droughts are impacting our food security and water resources, heatwaves are becoming increasingly dangerous to the most vulnerable in our communities and extreme natural disasters like bushfires or cyclones threaten the places we love. (2)
- The Adani rail line, which GHD is possibly working on, will likely help several other coal mines in the Galilee Basin to proceed, like Clive Palmer’s ‘monster’ Alpha North Coal Mine Project. (3)
- Adani is in it for themselves. Another company, Aecom, had to take Adani to court just to get the money they were owed. (4)
- Adani’s coal is going to make power more expensive for communities in India and Bangladesh. (5)
- We want to build a better future that’s powered by the wind and the sun and GHD could lead the way.
As a staff member of an employee-owned company, your voice is powerful and we’re asking you to show us the strong leadership we need to see right now.
Please fill out this anonymous survey, with simple questions that will let your share your thoughts in 2 minutes. The survey is completely secure. It will take you to the Market Forces website but no data will be recorded, tracked or traced to you.
(1) Will Steffen, Galilee Basin: Unburnable Coal, Climate Council, 2015 https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/uploads/af9ceab751ba2d0d3986ee39e1ef04fd.pdf
(2) David Roberts, This graphic explains why 2 degrees of global warming will be way worse than 1.5, 7/10/2018 https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/1/19/16908402/global-warming-2-degrees-climate-change
(3) Michael Slezak, Clive Palmer seeks approval for 'monster mine' next door to Adani, 26/4/2018, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/clive-palmer-seeks-approval-for-monster-mine-near-adani/9698680
(4) Mark Ludlow, Adani refuses to pay for work on Carmichael mine, 14/5/2019, https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/adani-challenging-payments-to-aecom-for-work-on-carmichael-mine-20190514-p51n3w
(5) IEFFA, IEEFA Report: Proposed Coal-Fired Project for Bangladesh Is a High-Priced Scheme Meant to Prop Up Adani Power, 10/4/2018 http://ieefa.org/ieefa-report-proposed-godda-power-project-just-another-financially-unviable-prop-for-adani/