Tell Frydenberg to reject Adani's Carmichael mega-coal mine
Call Environment & Energy Minister, Josh Frydenberg, ask him to reconsider the approval for Adani’s Carmichael coal mine
Breaking news: Right now in Brisbane, our friends at the Australian Conservation Foundation have just heard the results of their court challenge to Hunt’s approval of Adani’s Carmichael mega-coal mine. The court has found that under our current laws, the approval stands up - this is ridiculous! It’s not ok that our laws allow a Minister to approve a mega-coal mine that is going to have devastating impacts on the Great Barrier Reef and our climate.
Since the mine was approved, the Great Barrier Reef has experienced severe coral bleaching, we’ve faced unseasonal floods on the East Coast and just had the hottest July ever. This is our moment to show the Government that this approval should be re-considered.
Call Frydenberg’s office now and tell him that in light of the Reef bleaching he needs to:
- Re-consider and rule out the approval for Adani’s Carmichael coal mine
- Speak to Resources Minister, Matt Canavan who manages the $5billion Northern Australia Infrastructure Fund which could give funding to Adani’s project and tell him that there should be no public money for Adani and that they should financially stand on their own two feet.
(02) 6277 7920 (Frydenberg’s Parliament House office)
Here are some talking points: (If this is your first time, you're going to be great, take a deep breath and just pick up the phone.)
- Hi, my name is ___ from ___
- I’m really concerned about Adani’s Carmichael mega-coal mine going ahead. This year the Great Barrier Reef has faced severe coral bleaching and is already under enormous pressure from the effects of climate change. Adani’s project will add more pressure to the Reef and worsen climate change. We can’t afford to let this project go ahead.
- I know that Minister Frydenberg agrees with climate science and understands the need for an energy transition away from fossil fuels. I’m calling to ask him to re-consider Adani’s Carmichael mine approval and reject it once and for all.
- I want a government who is going to invest in the solutions to climate change not worsen the problem, this means investing in more renewable energy projects and upgrading us to 100% renewable energy and no new coal projects.
- I would also like to ask the Minister to talk to Resources Minister, Matt Canavan about the Northern Australia Infrastructure Fund and ask him to tell Matt that Adani should stand on their own feet and not be given any public money from this fund.
- I want the Minister to know that I stand with thousands of Australians across the country who are really concerned about Adani’s coal projects and we will do whatever it takes to stop this project.
- Are you able to pass this message on?
Once you've made the call let us know how it went over to the right in the comment box :)
Call Josh Frydenberg (02) 6277 7920 (Parliament House office)
Tell us how it went: