William Crocker posted about Prime Minister stop oil giants drilling for oil in the Bight on Facebook 2016-11-09 08:05:00 +1100Sign the petition: Prime Minister stop oil giants drilling for oil in the Bight
Prime Minister stop oil giants drilling for oil in the Bight4,956 signatures
Just months before BP was set to drill for oil in the Great Australian Bight they pulled the pin on the risky project. This was testament to the incredible defenders who fought for years to stop BP and protect the unique southern coastline.
But the fight is not over, there are 4 other companies waiting to drill for oil in the Bight. We urgently need a ban on all oil drilling in the Bight.
Please sign this petition today and we'll deliver your voice to Parliament House with thousands of others, together we'll be impossible to ignore.
Dear Prime Minister,
We're extremely concerned that your government may allow oil companies to drill for oil in the Great Australian Bight.
The Great Australian Bight is a pristine marine environment that supports 36 species of whales and dolphins. It sustains one of the world’s most important nurseries for the endangered southern right whale, as well as important industries like fishing and tourism. These would all be put at unacceptable risk by oil exploration.
The waters of the Great Australian Bight are deep, rough and remote. Drilling for oil here is risky and irresponsible.
Independent oil spill modelling has shown almost all of Australia’s southern coast could be at risk from an oil spill in the Bight.
Searching for new oil reserves in the Bight runs directly counter to the urgent need to stop burning oil, coal and gas to prevent catastrophic climate change. It is inconsistent with the Paris Climate Agreement goals your government signed to protect our climate.
The Great Australian Bight is the wrong place to drill for oil. And this is the wrong time in history to allow oil companies to look for more of it.
Prime Minister, I call on you to ban oil and gas development in the Great Australian Bight now and into the future.
William Crocker posted about Send Malcolm a Fax on Facebook 2016-05-24 10:56:06 +1000Since Mr Turnbull likes retro technology like fossil fuels, we'll have to communicate via fax! Face the fax, Turnbull!
Malcolm's out of touch climate policy is as old school as the fax machine we'll send your message on. What's your message for Malcolm?1,191 faxes
Malcolm Turnbull isn’t leaving old school technology like coal, oil and gas behind, so we'll get our message to him using old school communication - the fax machine!
Our Prime Minister has had plenty of time to unshackle us from the coal wagon that has ruled his party for too long. Global warming is happening right before our eyes with the Reef bleaching and temperature records being broken across the country, but the government continues to prop up the big polluters with handouts and approve new fossil fuel projects.
Write to the PM’s office today and we’ll fax your message off, with thousands of others, on Friday the 27th of May. Imagine his office being flooded with fax messages calling on him to get with the times!
Here are some messages you could use, but it's best to create your own:
- Hey Malcolm! Propping up fossil fuels is as out of touch as this fax machine. Young people what a safe climate future to look forward to, with new awesome clean energy technology, not the old school fossil fuels of the past.
- Hi Malcolm, you say you’re all about innovation but why are you so obsessed with fossil fuels and cutting jobs at the CSIRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Hey mate, coal is over. Adani’s Carmichael coal mine would mean game over for the Reef and our climate - please put the brakes on this dangerous project, and rule out Federal funding for it.
- Dear PM Turnbull, I want you to supercharge the transition to new clean technology, and do away with the old stuff that’s warming our planet - it’s time to get Australia back to the future.
- Hey Mr PM, my name is [_____] and I know you signed the Paris climate agreement, but you haven’t followed through with action - I’m calling on you to leave the fossil fuels in the ground and switch to 100% renewable energy. Can you commit?
Our you could write a poem or anything, make it as creative as you like! You could even upload a drawing if you want!
We’ll be livestreaming the faxing so you can watch it all unfold. If you’d like to get a notification when it happens, subscribe to our Facebook page here.